Monday, February 19, 2007

Giving up anything for Lent?

Had a conversation again with my husband regarding giving up something for Lent. We're not Catholic, but I've never done it except for fasting for 30 hours with the help of many, many shakes when helping out with the church youth group for 30-hour famine. It was hard not consuming more calories then I normally would with food.

Anyways, he decided to give up french fries. On first thought two days ago, I didn't want to give anything up...but since he could do it I thought I HAVE to now! So I suggested chocolate...He responded with an adamant "NO!!!", meaning I would probably not be fun to live with. I don't usually eat french fries, so that wouldn't work for me. Then I commented, "Do I drink enough wine for it to even be a sacrifice?" He agreed that I only drink it every two or three months anyways, so that wouldn't be a good thing. Coffee wouldn't be good for my work production. I mentioned only consuming chocolate in liquid form, but he thought that was weird. We finally concluded with possibly Dove Milk Chocolates, since I often eat two small pieces after dinner, especially when he gets his chocolate out!!! I have one more day to decide...Have thought of only whole-wheat carbs or something like that...We'll see.

p.s. I have never fasted on my own because I use the excuse that my underlying objective would probably be to try and lose weight and not listening to God, but may try it in the future. Also, I can't give up anything my dog eats with me like animal crackers or baby carrots or tortillas because she would be abstaining also (okay, that's a bad excuse). Yes, my dog is spoiled!

p.s.s. or p.p.s. Thought about fasting from blogs...my husband calls me a blog addict..don't know if I could do it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have food allergies, so I've had to give up tomatoes, peppers, chocolate (really not a big deal, don't fall over--cheese is my chocolate), corn, peppermint, etc...

I refuse to give up anything else food-wise.

I don't think I could go without blogging either, Kim...

I'd freak.

Hannita said...

Yeah, I was thinking sugar or chocolate. But now I'm thinking meat. That would be a sacrifice. I Love meat. Hmm... could I eat stuff flavored with meat or broth? See, now I'm thinking. Sigh.

Unknown said...

OMG fasting from blogs--don't even SAY IT!! Read Matt's comment about giving things up on my blog. He agrees that it shouldn't be for underlying motives.