Saturday, December 23, 2006

Commentary on someone's blog

The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge,
But the mouth of fools feeds on foolishness. Proverbs 15:14.

I was reading someone else's blog that I found from some other blog (by the way, my husband thinks I'm addicted to reading blogs), and someone wrote about this Bible verse. He had Bible verses all over his site, but under this one, he had a list of things that he considered foolishness----watching TV[ie. Talk shows, Reality Shows, Sitcoms etc]-reading or watching the secular news-reading magazines produced by worldly people-reading books that do not teach anything of value.

I can see how those things can hinder him from his walk with God, but I seem to think that God can speak to me through even nonreligious avenues. Regarding watching TV, I'll admit that some shows are trash. Sometimes I learn about human behavior from them, though. Regarding watching the news, how would you know what's going on in the world or what we need to pray for(even though I don't watch that much)? Regarding the books that do not teach anything of value, I think I need balance in my life. I cannot read "heavy books" all the time such as C.S. Lewis, Thomas Merton (He's too smart for me.), etc.

My friend Melanie just made an analogy earlier about Alice in Wonderland and her faith walk on her blog (It's her December 6th entry at
www.melanie-pearl.blogspot.com). I just got done reading Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller where he compares Romeo and Juliet to our faith walk.

Please don't be offended if you don't feel the same way and never listen to secular music, but I just think God can use it if you're looking for it and are open-minded. I'm not trying to put that guy and his blog down. I just think "foolishness" is unique...We all have different worldy vices (my husband thinks my new one is blog reading) or thorns in our sides that hinder our relationship with God.


Back to that Donald Miller book I was reading...he talks about the Bible being filled with stories and some of us just wanting to make up a formula for becoming a Christian and living a Christian life...how we are more apt to be attentive to the parables and beautiful poetry and stories as opposed to
x + y = 42. (If you've ever watched the movie Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you know that's where I got the number 42.) Maybe that's why my physicist brother is wanting us to give him a formula that makes sense to him about why we believe in God and we can't give him one.

On a side note, there was one sentence in the whole Donald Miller book that I could've been offended about (regarding some news station), but I'm open-minded and digested the rest of the book. It's kind of like how I love Steve Earle as a musician, but do not agree with all of his political views... So I hope you take all this I have written and be open-minded and still want to read my blog. THE END

1 comment:

Melanie-Pearl said...

Nice, Kim. I'll come back to this post. I really like the two-word closure. :)

I don't know why...maybe it has something to do with our stupid scores...but formulas seem harder than faith. I know it's often the direct opposite for the intensely left brained.

Thank God He can use any and all avenues to get our attention.