Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cookie post #1--Pfeffernusse


Got the crazy idea to make pfeffernusse for the first time ever last weekend. In Kansas, people make peppernuts/pfeffernusse that tastes like the same type dough as in North Dakota. This includes pepper (of course), anise, and coffee. The Kansas peppernuts look like little nut-shaped cookies. In North Dakota they are larger and dipped in powdered sugar and soft on the inside and sometimes hard on the outside.

Anyways, I made the recipe I found in my Grandma's church cookbook. It entails boiling the butter, sugar, and honey together (getting a pot dirty) and then mixing the other ingredients in. Then the batter needs to set overnight in the fridge. The next day the batter is rolled into balls and baked. When the cookies come out of the oven they are dipped into a powdered sugar syrup mixture(an extra step some people don't do) and then dipped in powdered sugar. Then they need to dry. (I left them out overnight to dry since they were still too wet to put away.) They are now aging in my garage since the flavor is better with time.

Doesn't that seem like a lot of work for a little ole' cookie?


This leads me to my next epiphany in the last two weeks: Flour and powdered sugar create a lot of dust in one's kitchen. I've also just realized how much dust is created by pulling a tissue out of a Kleenex box.

1 comment:

carahinojosa said...

I'm with you on the kleenex thing...I had the same epiphany in my bathroom today, but with toilet paper!