Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Post-holiday thoughts



I missed posting for Independence Day, so this is a post-holiday post. Was a little busy working my normal hours and then trying to cram in some celebrating along with it. I am grateful for our country, especially after visiting a third-world country in 2001. I know we have some problems, but basically I think we should count our blessings.

On July 3rd, I watched Standing Silent Nation regarding Native Americans who are now forbidden to grow industrial hemp because of a policy that doesn't differentiate industrial hemp from marijuana. This is a very profitable crop that one cannot get high from. Meanwhile, several other countries such as Canada and Great Britain can distinguish this difference. This also made me think about the Native American population and their sovereignty.

Fireworks were once a big deal for me as part of celebrating Independence Day...not so much anymore since I now own a dog and a house and get to type reports for the burn unit at our hospital. Maybe I should start a campaign to celebrate with stuff "Made in America"...think that would be more patriotic. Oh, but those other countries need to eat, too.

My struggle lately is to remember that most of the news out there is somehow slightly biased. So please take all this with a grain of salt.

I'm thankful that "In God We Trust" is still on our money, even though you don't have to believe in any god to be a citizen.

No comments: