Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Back in Kansas

Just got back last night. My mom is still waiting for the doctor from Minneapolis to call her. She decided she wants to do the most aggressive chemo/radiation regimen for her pancreatic cancer. We are going to see if she can do the recipe for the study trial in Bismarck. If not, she would need to spend six weeks at a time in Minneapolis, probably twice. We don't have family there, so that will be tricky.

She needs to have chemo/radiation before they will consider surgery because the tumor is too large and the portal vein is involved. If everything goes great and the tumor shrinks, she will be able to have surgery in 3 months.

My mom says she has a peace about all this and can feel people praying for her. She is "ready to go, but not ready to leave" is what she says.

I will be posting pictures soon.

Edit--They are willing to do the chemo in Bismarck so Mom will have all the support she needs there! She has to wait to call the doctor in Bismarck for an appointment because the office is closed. Then she can ask if insurance pays for it which we forgot to ask before.

2 comments:

Hannita said...

Y'all are definitely in my prayers.

Minty said...

Oh, dear. I feel strange for jumping in on this post, but I wanted to let you know how sorry I am that your mother is enduring such scary health problems.

I am wealth of (usually) useless information about alternative and complimentary medicine so if you ever need anyone to help you find out about special diets, vitamins, whatever, I can try to help. I know there are also some really good support groups on Yahoo. If you find a good group, it is an amazing resource. Good luck to your family.

I love you mother's quote, "I'm ready to go but I'm not ready to leave." (is that right?)