Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The redbuds are coming! The redbuds are coming!


Spent some time in the yard yesterday morning on my day off and cut down the dreaded giant clump of Maidenhair grass. Yes, I have heard all of the tips about the best way to do it such as taping it together, using a chainsaw, etc. As I do not have a chainsaw or hedgetrimmer, I used my lawn clippers. Also plan to use it for mulch and/or put in my compost bin, so I cut it in smaller lengths. It's a messy job, but at least I remembered to wear long sleeves this year and my arms aren't torn up.

Speaking of my compost bin, am happy to report that my little red worms have made it through the winter and will eat my vegetable/fruit scraps and coffeegrounds and turn them into compost. My bin sits in the shade, so it doesn't work like a normal compost pile and get hot. Don't know where else to put it in my yard where it's sunny and inconspicuous, so I let my red worms live in there. Yes, they are the same type of worms used in the book Worms Eat My Garbage. Don't worry, they don't like their picture taken, so I won't post a picture. I still think our pastor ought to write a sermon about compost.

As you can see, the redbuds are about ready to bloom, and I am enjoying everyone else's Bradford Pear trees. Spring--It's the most wonderful time of the year (except for the allergy/pollen count thing)!

No comments: